2 Corinthians 1:4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's All About Love

The Closer, 4th season finale, Brenda to Fritz on their wedding day, "I love you with all my heart, the problem is sometimes I think my heart is only "this" big."
Our capacity to love is limited by our humanness. But, when we make the decision to follow Christ and live his example our capacity to love grows.  It grows not because of anything we do but because God Is Love.  If it weren't for God's love we wouldn't know what love is.  We wouldn't know what it looks like, feels like or that it even exists.
Matthew 22:36-40 says,  36“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”  37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’b 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’c 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Why?  Because God loved us so much that he sent his Son to die for our sins, sins that belonged to us and not him.  Because Jesus loved his Father so much that he was willing to do what was asked of him, no matter what.  Who else has love like that?  Not me.  I would die for my family, I dare to say we all would.  But for someone I don't know?  Someone that has hurt me deeply, ridiculed me, beaten me and accused me of being evil?    I don't think so.


My son, Michael, spoke to a group of teens, at a church we were working with in Arkansas telling them, "If your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't know God, isn't living for Him, they don't know how to truly love.  A wise statement that was.  


1 John 4:7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love............16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him........19We love because he first loved us.


Without Him we have nothing, we are nothing.  At what capacity do you love?


~Sharon


"Love One Another" The Greatest Command- A Capella


No comments:

Post a Comment